Oats

>> Thursday, December 11, 2008

In my last post I mentioned putting nuts on our oats. I should explain about our oats. We just do not buy boxed cereal of any kind. If one reads the labels he/she will find that most are full of sugars, lots of additives, etc. One person stated one time, and I have to agree, that you would be better off dumping out the cereal and eating the box.

We buy organic rolled oats. We eat them as they come from the container (not cooked). But, we don't eat them by themselves. We add lots of other goodies. Generally we have fruit of some kind. In season it may be fresh peaches, apples, pears, blackberries. Once in a while we will purchase some bananas and add one of those. When we don't have the fresh fruit available we add canned or frozen fruit. Other items we add is flax seed meal (we grind the flax seeds in a small electric coffee grinder), sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, the nuts and I add raisins (Connie doesn't care for raisins). I used to put a bit of honey on mine but found that the fruit adds all of the sweeting that is needed. Onto this we put milk or cream. When the goats are giving plenty of milk we make our own yogurt and Connie likes to put yogurt on hers. Cream is a rather new item to add since Darryl has been sharing his good Guernsey milk with us. When we have been without milk water and the fruit juices work fine. The quantities of each is up to the individual. I put more oats in my bowl than Connie puts in hers but perhaps I need more to eat than she does. We eat this for breakfast 5 or 6 mornings a week and never tire of it. It seems to stick with one all morning long. I believe it costs no more than the box cereals and I know it has to be much more healthful.

2 comments:

Berni December 11, 2008 at 1:38 PM  

We try to eat in a similar way to you. I don't generally eat my oats without cooking them but your breakfast menu sounds very good. I used to buy goats milk at one time but not many people raise goats up here, the grizzlies come down and kill them.

Hope you enjoy your new blogging venture.

bcmomtoo December 12, 2008 at 6:38 AM  

I'm going to have oats for breakfast, but I think I'll cook mine. I had them yesterday with some partially dried cranberries. So good! And warm oatmeal just hits the spot on a cold winter morning.

I like them your way, too. No one else in my family is impressed, but they just don't know what they're missing.

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP