To Buy or Not To Buy

>> Sunday, January 4, 2009

I presently have a Dell computer that is six years old. The main complaint is that it is lacking in memory. I can add memory. To take it from the present 512MB to 1GB will cost less than $40.00. Or, I can buy a new Dell with 3GB of memory.

I presently have the Windows XP operating system and the new computer would have the Vista system. I’m told that the adjustment wouldn’t be too difficult. But, my main concern is with my word processing program. I have used Word Perfect ever since I first started using a word processing program. As far as I can determine the Word Perfect Version 10 that I currently am using isn’t compatible with Vista. Some internet sites I visited indicate that there may (or maybe not) be a way to get it to work. I know I could learn Word, which we have a copy of, but all of my files are saved in Word Perfect. My limited experience in the past was that in a conversion there was a loss of some of the formatting.

Since I have a book (my autobiography) and numerous articles written and saved in Word Perfect I really hate to change to Word and even attempt a conversion. An updated version of Word Perfect is over $100.00, which I don’t really want to have to spend.

To buy or not to buy is the question.

1 comments:

bcmomtoo January 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

You could try Open Office and see how much of the formatting you lose when you open a file.

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP