Milk Cans

>> Friday, January 9, 2009

Jan   9th 007 When I was growing up, in the late 40’s and early 50’s, my dad was milking 4 or 5 cows and selling the milk to a local cheese factory.  The milk was strained into 10 gallon milk cans, cooled in a tank of cold well water and picked up by the “milk truck” about 3 times a week.  The empty cans from the previous pick-up would be returned when the full cans were taken.

Late in the 50’s we had only one cow and her milk was for our own use.  Later, probably in the 60’s, my dad had no milk cow at all.  The 10 gallon milk cans were stored away.  In 1987 Dad sold the farm and had an auction to get rid of over 50 years of accumulation.  Those cans were going into the auction.  I asked my dad if I could have one, which he gladly gave me.  We have thought for years we should paint it or do something decorative with it but it still sits on our front porch.  You can see the number “54” painted on the can.  That was my dad’s number and all milk in cans with that number were accredited to his account.

If you have any suggestions as to how we should use this can please leave a comment.

1 comments:

Unknown January 18, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

Hi~ Ray sent me your blog.I just moved from CA to rural Ark. anyway~my idea is to put a tractor seat that swivels on top and then you have a nice seat!! :)

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP