Morchella

>> Thursday, April 16, 2009

Never did I know that the true morel mushrooms were Morchella per their scientific genus until I did some study online before writing this post.  The morel mushroom is hunted each spring by many ‘shroomers, as mushroom hunters are called.  When I was growing up in Central Illinois I knew the morel simply as “sponge mushrooms.”  This name was basically because the morel looks a lot like a sponge.  They appear honeycomb-like in that their upper portion is composed of a network of ridges with pits between them.  Here are a couple of photos.



morel-mushroom-hunting morel It is morel season once again.  Darryl and the children have found a few the last few days.  Here in Kentucky they have a couple of other names.  I heard one shortly after moving here, “dryland fish.”  Apparently when sliced lengthwise then breaded and fried the outline looks something like a fish.  And, I am told that in many parts of the state morels are known as “hickory chicken.”  Apparently in most parts of West Virginia they are known as “molly moochers.”  Don’t ask me why.

One more picture.  This is one the children found yesterday.  Jessica is holding it.  Excuse the bit of debris that is on it.

April    15th 001

0 comments:

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP