Black Walnut Candlestick

>> Monday, March 14, 2011


The old house I tore down was built on sill logs supported by foundation stones.  Some of the sill logs had completely rotted out, some partially rotted, but others were quite solid.  As far as I could tell they seemed to be oak and I decided to cut them into firewood.  As I began to cut into one of the sill logs I discovered that it wasn’t oak but was black walnut.

014

This log had been hewn by hand, although some of the others had been cut on a sawmill.

IMG_2729

In the above photo you can see the stash of black walnut pieces I have to use for small projects.  Which leads me to the first project I have completed using the black walnut.

IMG_2732


I plan on giving this to the fellow who gave me the old house to tear down.

1 comments:

Craig Pifer March 18, 2011 at 7:26 AM  

Wow dad, that looks nice. Are you taking orders for more?

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP