Cedar Candlesticks

>> Thursday, November 12, 2009

On our visit to Connie’s mom and her sister in South Texas three years ago I saw some candlesticks that my brother-in-law, Roger, had made on a new piece of equipment in his woodworking shop.

Texas Trip 014 This photo is a bit dark but hopefully you can see the beautiful spiral candlesticks. (Click on the photo to enlarge.) The one set is made of pecan wood and the other from mesquite. When I first saw these I told Roger I’d like to have a set made out of our Kentucky cedar.

It was while we were there visiting that Connie’s mom suffered a stroke and Connie felt she needed to stay for a few weeks. I came on home and went back a few weeks later to get Connie. When I got ready to return I went out to our woodpile and pulled out a few pieces of cedar that had been cut up for firewood and took with me.

When we went for our visit this Fall Roger told me that I needed to make my candlesticks. He pulled out the cedar pieces (and got wasp stung doing it), designed my candlesticks, set up his Legacy Ornamental Mill to make them. As he got each step started he instructed me in the operation and let me run the machine. After getting them made he showed me how to sand them. After I had the sanding done he sprayed shellac on them (several coats). After letting that cure for a couple of days he showed me how to go over them with steel wool to take away the shine and then put a wax finish on them.

Here are some photos of the end result.

Nov. 9 003 Nov. 11 001









Nov. 11 002
Nov. 11 006









Nov. 11 004

Nov. 11 005










Even if I did part of the work I think they turned out pretty nice.

3 comments:

Mark Pifer November 13, 2009 at 3:49 AM  

Those are beautiful. Who knew you had that kind of talent, I'm impressed.

bcmomtoo November 20, 2009 at 9:42 AM  

Wow!!!! Those are absolutely gorgeous - and even more special because you had a hand in making them.

Is this where I say I want those when you don't need them any more? :P

Mary December 2, 2009 at 6:03 AM  

Those are beautiful. The Redwood was an excellent choice. The color variations add interest.

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP