How Much Milk Would A Milk Goat Drink If A Milk Goat Would Drink Milk?

>> Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Although I don’t buy into the argument, some feel that an adult should not drink milk. One of the “reasons” is that one never sees an adult animal of any kind drinking milk. But, they have never seen Annie.

I’m not sure just when I first discovered her thirst for milk. I know that when there was extra milk I would put it out for our chickens to drink and Annie would drink it before the chickens had a chance. With two cows Darryl is getting more milk than his family can use. He skims the cream to use to make butter and the extra milk gets poured into the pan in our chicken/goat yard. Annie almost knocks one down getting to the milk. And, I’m not talking about a small amount. She will drink upwards of a gallon at a time if it is there.

Here are some photos I took recently of her devouring a gallon of milk.

july 10th 001The pan is filled BEFORE I opened the barn door!

july 10th 002 She is beginning to drink the milk.

july 10th 005 The pan is nearly empty!

july 10th 008 She’s done, and this only took a minute or two. Just what she “craves” I don’t know but she is quite the milk drinker.

2 comments:

bcmomtoo July 14, 2009 at 5:25 PM  

Maybe more adult animals would drink milk if only given the opportunity.

Andrea August 25, 2009 at 10:17 AM  

Saw you posted over at Sandy's American Way Farm. You've got some wonderful posts.
But I love goat slurping up her milk. I grew up on a dairy farm..raw milk everyday. Now at 45 I've discovered that milk is still GREAT! I just read that it has more electrolytes that those sugary sport drinks. Yipee!

  © Blogger template Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP